Tuesday, June 21, 2005
Arizona Weather
People are shocked when I tell them I love the weather in southern Arizona. Most people think that the weather is a reason to stay away. No so. No where else in the country (except for Southern California where we cannot afford to live) has better weather. Most places have hot summers and cold winters. We have beautiful sunny days all year round. The secret to the summer is having enough money to keep our house as cool as we want it and having cars with frosty cold Arctic air.
When I was a kid, I thought that as soon as I could leave my blistering, dusty hometown, I would sprint, not looking back. But it wasn't about the weather. It was economics. One of the reasons it was so bad as a child/teen was that I was always riding around in an old station wagon without A/C, packed tightly with many children, and my mother refused to turn on the A/C in the house until June. Even after that, the thermostat was forbidden territory. To go near it, or worse to touch it to try to lower it just a bit, was pure evil. I remember getting my sheet damp and laying under the fan at night to stay a little bit cooler. Now at night, I use a blanket, even in the middle of the summer because my house is very cool.
I love the weather here. My kids can play outside everyday of the year (although admittedly in the summer time it is in the afternoon/evening or with water.)
When I was a kid, I thought that as soon as I could leave my blistering, dusty hometown, I would sprint, not looking back. But it wasn't about the weather. It was economics. One of the reasons it was so bad as a child/teen was that I was always riding around in an old station wagon without A/C, packed tightly with many children, and my mother refused to turn on the A/C in the house until June. Even after that, the thermostat was forbidden territory. To go near it, or worse to touch it to try to lower it just a bit, was pure evil. I remember getting my sheet damp and laying under the fan at night to stay a little bit cooler. Now at night, I use a blanket, even in the middle of the summer because my house is very cool.
I love the weather here. My kids can play outside everyday of the year (although admittedly in the summer time it is in the afternoon/evening or with water.)